Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The 'Goods' Arrive

The Goods


The remaining components arrived today from NewEgg, Here they are laid out on the floor, ready for assembly. Included in this shot, of course, is the case that arrived yesterday.

I have to say, I knew the Zalman CPU Cooler was big, but WOW, this thing is massive... a virtual planetoid... it is like an orange on a toothpick.


The Mobo



Anyway, I quickly got to work putting the pieces together, here you can see the motherboard with the CPU and Cooler installed, as well as the 2 GB of RAM. The CPU cooler has an external device that can be used to set the speed of the fan, or it can be set to 'silent' mode... the cable for that is shown in the background of the picture.



The install begins



The first component to go in the case is the power supply. You can see in this photo the supply being unpacked and installed. You also may notice my supervisor (the primary cat Pepper). Also, the motherboard gets installed.



Harware complete



Now, we have the box with all of the parts installed (including the PCI cards, and hard disk). I have a second HDD (also 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s), but it currently is being used in an external enclosure to suck the media content from my other computers. I will be putting a previously purchased black DVD ROM in as well (it currently is installed in my firewall server, but I have a couple of spares I can replace it with).



Next Steps


I need to now spend some time performing some cable management (plugging in the various power cables, and the connections from fans, etc. to the motherboard. I will then need to use some small tie wraps to keep the cables tidy... a note of caution here, you should NEVER crimp a SATA cable, it can lead to data issues.

Once cables are taken care of, and the DVD drive is in, I can begin the software installation process, beginning with Mythdora 4.

No comments: