Thursday, May 10, 2007

Getting Started - The Myth Project

So, this is it. I decided to build a MythTV box, with some support from a friend who already has one. A few things spurred me on to do this.
  1. We can't get a DVR with our DirecTV unit - they require two separate cable feeds into our unit, we have only one
  2. You have to pay money to use commercial DVR/PVR
  3. MythTV is more than just a DVR, it is a 'home entertainment center' - stores and plays movies, music, pictures, games.
  4. MythTV is opensource, and a great project.
So, this blog will chronicle the building of this from start to end, and continued trials and tribulations that I encounter as the unit is up and running.

Any fixes and tricks I find will be posted here, as well as links to relevant information, in case you, the reader, would like to follow along.

My next post will detail the parts I chose to build this, and how I decided on them. I placed the order at NewEgg yesterday, hope they arrive next week so I can start building the system. The goal is to have it up and running (fully) in time for the Tour de France.

No comments: