Thursday, September 13, 2007

Extreme Tech Toys

Not really Myth, but kinda related


Okay, so, in a little bit, I will relate this back to MythTV, but for now, here is what is going on.

I took 3 books out of the library on Wednesday, just out of the sake of interest:

  • Extreme Tech: RFID Toys
  • Extreme Tech: Linux Toys
  • Extreme Tech: Podcasting


Why? (you might ask)... Well, curiosity I suppose.

Book 1: RFID


So, this is interesting stuff, and why NOT incorporate it into everyday life. Here is a snippet of what projects are in that book:

  • Front Door Security (RFID enable your deadbolt)
  • Car Security (RFID enable your car locks)
  • Pet Door (Only YOUR pets come and go)
  • Computer Security (put RFID in your keyboard)

...and the list goes on. Anyway, I can see an application for the computer, put that in here, and not have to worry about my 85 keystroke password with symbols, mixed case, no words, numbers, etc. Beyond that though... I don't know. I guess I could kinda do the door (back door to the loft), but there isn't enough payback... I'm hoping SOMEBODY can suggest a practical, and useful application... I feel a NEED to put RFID in something (maybe in the guitar, so it plays for me).

Book 2: Linux Toys


Ok, so this is where I can relate back to MythTV... since it is, technically, a Linux Toy. Now that I have (ha, ha) conquered it, what is my next Linux Toy? Here is what the book suggests:

  • Entertainment projects (MythTV covers ALL of these)
  • Home Network (done that)
  • Digital Receptionist (Vonage takes care of it)
  • Digital Picture Frame... hmm.

Well, maybe the digital picture frame is it... I mean, we have THOUSANDS of pictures of our cat, and we don't get the time to see them all, maybe a rotating picture frame is in the works. I have a few old laptops I could cannibalize (or, am I getting desperate for SOMETHING to do?)

Book 3: Podcasting


If a tree falls in a forest, does a podcast get made of it? Seriously though, what do I have to say, and IF I said it, WHO would want to listen (I could play -poorly- my guitar). This is interesting stuff though... recording and stuff. Anyway, here is what this book has to offer:

  • Finding and subscribing to podcasts
  • Choosing your podcast format
  • Producing with gear you already own
  • Recording
  • Finding a host
  • Uploading

When I REALLY stop to think about it, I think maybe two people (including my wife and I) would listen to anything I created... so, maybe this (however cool), isn't for me... but, I may try it out just for fun.

MAYBE we could podcast the upcoming trial of the now famous Michael Righi.

No comments: